About the Brookhouse Hypnotherapy Group
Brookhouse Hypnotherapy is the name of a national group of practices founded by Shaun Brookhouse in 2005. Shaun has appointed well qualified hypnotherapists to run practices in areas across the UK. You can find practitioners’ CVs and contact details on the Our Services page.
All members of the Brookhouse Hypnotherapy Group are dedicated to helping their clients to:
- Resolve problems as quickly as possible
- Improve their well-being
- Improve their mental health
- Raise their self-esteem
- Strive towards reaching their potential
- Be fully functioning authentic, autonomous people
Our of views reflect a respect for and tolerance of diversity. We apply the same criteria of respect, empowerment, authenticity, etc. that we have for our clients, to ourselves personally and professionally. We believe in human uniqueness; a holistic need to balance intellect, spirit, emotions and the body; individual autonomy and responsibility; fundamental innocence; and the importance of a shadow side. We believe that in hypnotherapy, counselling and psychotherapy the therapeutic relationship is the main agent of change that the practitioner has any influence on, so who we are is crucial to the well-being of our clients.
We see the therapeutic relationship as one of shared responsibility and view transference and counter-transference as a valuable form of communication that takes many forms, including body language and non-verbal communication, and does not necessarily imply pathological aspects.
Shaun is the founder and Honorary President of the group
Shaun has been a practising hypnotherapist since 1989 and a practising psychotherapist since 1995. He holds an Honorary Fellowship and Accreditation with the UK Council for Psychotherapy. He has completed two of these programmes, in 1995 with the Centre Training School of Hypnotherapy and Psychotherapy and in 2007 with the National College of Hypnosis and Psychotherapy. He also achieved a UKCP Accreditation as a Psychotherapeutic Counsellor in 2017. Shaun has been accredited by the UKCP since 1996.
These accreditations/qualifications are in addition to his hypnotherapy diplomas which he received in 1989 (American College of Clinical Hypnosis), 1994 (London College of Clinical Hypnosis) and 2003 from the Hypnotism Training Institute of Los Angeles. Additionally, he holds a US Nationally Accredited Diploma in Hypnotherapy from the Hypnosis Motivation Institute (2010).
He has trained many hypnotherapists currently practising in the UK and US. This was through The London College of Clinical Hypnosis, The Washington School of Clinical and Advanced Hypnosis, The UK Academy of Therapeutic Arts and Sciences and in the US through the National Guild of Hypnotists and finally The National College of Hypnosis and Psychotherapy. If you have seen hypnotherapists advertise that they hold the Hypnotherapy Practitioner Diploma (HPD), Shaun was involved there too, he co-created this qualification for the National Council for Hypnotherapy. Shaun retired from 27 years of training practitioners in 2020 to focus on other professional interests including expanding the Brookhouse Hypnotherapy Group.
Notable Career Accomplishments:
- Been in continual full-time practice since 1989
- 5th Principal of the National College of Hypnosis and Psychotherapy (est 1977)
- Former President of the National Society of Hypnosis Psychotherapy and Mindfulness (now National Society of Talking Therapies)
- Presenter/Keynote Speaker at over 28 conferences related to hypnotherapy & psychotherapy
- Undertook first university research into the dynamics of hypnotherapy training (Liverpool John Moores University 1996-1998) leading to a Masters Degree in Education Studies.
- Founding Chair of the UK Confederation of Hypnotherapy Organisations
- Past Chair of College of Hypno-Psychotherapists (Now College of Outcome Oriented and Hypno-psychotherapies) and former member of the Board of Trustees and governing board of the UK Council for Psychotherapy
- Member of the Advisory Board of the National Guild of Hypnotists (US)
- Co-Creator of the nationally accredited Hypnotherapy Practitioner Diploma
- Co-Creator of the first nationally accredited Hypnotherapy Supervision Certificate
- Past Chair of the National Council for Hypnotherapy
- Co-Creator of the National Occupational Standards for Hypnotherapy
- Author/Co-Author of 5 books on the subject of hypnotherapy
- Hypno-Psychotherapy Modality Expert recognised by the European Association for Psychotherapy
- President of the European Association for Hypno-Psychotherapy
- Expert Witness in cases which involved the use of hypnosis.
- Recipient of many national and international awards (including Hartland Memorial Award and Rexford L North Trophy (both for lifetime achievement))
- Honorary Fellow of the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy
Fiona administers the group and provides supervision to members of the group.
Fiona has been in practice since 1993 and is a hypnotherapist, psychotherapist, supervisor and coach. She is an ex-chair of the National Council for Hypnotherapy and the UK Confederation of Hypnotherapy Organisations. She co-created the gold standard qualification (with Shaun) in hypnotherapy, the Hypnotherapy Practitioner Diploma (now renamed as the Hypnotherapy in Practice Diploma) offered by the NCH/NCFE. She was Managing Director of the National College of Hypnosis and Psychotherapy from 2007 until 2020 and is Vice Principal of the UK Academy of Therapeutic Arts and Sciences.
Fiona is the current chair of the Education, Training and Practice Committee of the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy and a member of their Executive Committee and has been awarded an Honorary Fellowship for her contribution to the profession.